Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Retirement WOES.....











I am not saying that there is anything wrong with retiring.....NO.....but I have never known what to do with all the time:)  Don't get me wrong....I love sleeping late (one of my favorite things) but then what? With just two of us meal planning is simple, straightening is incredibly easy (we learned long ago how to put things away when we are finished....LOL). Gardening is a sometime thing here in St. Louis (weather can change from 80 to 30 in a matter of hours) and you are never sure in the Spring if another freeze is a day away!  I love to paint and sew, but after a while you have exhausted all your gift recipients and they don't want to see you coming.
Well, not that anyone cares but I have a solution for this problem. When it is time to retire, everyone that wants it should be offered a part-time service job. It may not pay as much but would be so satisfying to have a valued place in society. When you retire normally your children are off on their own and don't need you anymore. You go from a place of respect and value to a free fall! The only socialization becomes luncheon dates and an occasional meeting at church, family gathering or grocery shopping.
I have always prided myself on getting a lot done, not wasting time, achieving the most I possibly can and yet....in retirement none of that matters because all I have is time and no one really cares what I am achieving!  Not to discount the love and support of my hubby who is always there for me!

Because I can not move as fast as I used to or carry weight that I was once capable of hauling doesn't mean that there is anything wrong with my energy level or my mind. I would love to have that part-time service job I spoke of earlier....and be respected and loved for what I have to contribute.

1 comment:

Sandy Graeser Haynes said...

We DO all value you, and all of your talents, and all of your accomplishments..... Believe ME !! I do know what you are saying, and can relate, as well, but money is not the only thing that give you worth !! You are incredibly important to me, your friends, your children and grandchildren, and so many others ! I know we were given the 'curse' of the incredibly strong work ethic, by mom and dad, and I know how that drive can 'drive you nuts', at times.....
I really don't know of a solution, I just want to tell you how important you are to me, and to others, and let you know that your lifetime of work is SO VALUABLE !!! I love you, soooo !
I am so fortunate to have had you as my talented, caring, loving sister for all these wonderful years that we've spent together ! Hopefully we will have many more years to share ! I love you !